Toxic Algal Blooms

Posted in:

algae-in-water-stream-water-flow

When you’re out exercising your dogs near ponds, lakes or rivers keep an eye out for toxic algae blooms and keep an eye on the ecan website. I have included a link below.

Dogs that come into contact with algal blooms (swim in the water, drink from the water and/or lick/consume the blooms) can become sick and sometimes die from the effects of toxic algal poisoning.

If you suspect your dog has come into contact with toxic algae blooms get veterinary help immediately.

Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, blood in stool or black tarry motions, salivation, difficulty breathing, pale gums or jaundice (yellowing of gums), shock, disorientation, neurological symptoms (e.g. muscle tremors, rigidity).

Leave a Comment